menubar

January 27, 2012

My Favorite Comfort Food…. Shepard’s Pie

On a cold and dreary day I like to fix something that is warming and comforting for dinner. There are many versions of Shepard’s Pie but this is my favorite way to make it. My kids love it, although my daughter claims to not like the green beans, kind of strange since she usually has two helpings of it. Guess it must not be too bad…lol. This recipe is really easy to make, other than it dirties quite a few dishes in the process (the only draw back). One of these times when I make it I’m going to try doubling the meat and green beans mixture then freeze half of it. Then the next time I make it, it should cut the cooking and prep time in half, I’ll just have to remember to get the meat mixture out in time to thaw.

Storm’s Shepard’s Pie

1 lb. ground beef

5 cups instant mashed potatoes (10 servings)

8 oz. shredded cheddar, or colby jack cheese

2 14.5 oz. cans french style green beans

1 cup brown gravy


1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Brown ground beef in large skillet then drain.

2. Prepare brown gravy, and mashed potatoes according to directions on package.

3. Combine ground beef, brown gravy, and the 2 cans of green beans in a 9.25 x 13.25 (3 quart) casserole dish. Season to taste ( I usually add some dry chopped onions, garlic salt and pepper.) After stirring the mixture, spread it evenly in the pan.

4. Cover the meat mixture with the mashed potatoes (I also like to season the mashed potatoes with some garlic salt, and sprinkle a little bit of cheese as I’m mixing the mashed potatoes.

5. Sprinkle cheese on the top of the mashed potatoes. Then bake for 20 min. or until heated through.

6. Let stand for a few minutes before serving, will be piping hot. Enjoy!!

Makes at least 8 servings….. we always end up with leftovers. It is one of the rare times I actually enjoy the leftovers. :)




Pin It Now!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...