menubar

October 23, 2012

Using Vinegar to Remove Odor from Jars.

These last couple of months I've been saving jars to use for some of the cool project ideas I've seen on Pinterest. There are so many cute ways to use jars other than just storing food. Instead of going out and buying mason jars I've been trying to save some of my spaghetti sauce and salsa jars as well as any other jars that look cool. I try to take the more frugal approach to my projects to help save money as well as cut down on waste.


The main issue I have had with reusing jars, that once stored food, is the odor that is left behind even after washing them in the dishwasher. And not a very pleasant one either. I decided one day to try pouring a little bit of vinegar into the jar. I put the lid back on and swish it around inside the jar. Then I let it sit on the counter for a few hours, or a whole day, depending on how strong the odor is. Once I feel the vinegar has had ample time to work it’s magic, I pour it out, then re-wash the jar in the dishwasher. After the jar is completely dry, I sniff it, and the odor is completely gone. It’s like having a brand new jar.

There may be times when the odor is extremely strong, like with those small garlic jars. In those cases you may have to repeat the process. I also soak the jar lids in vinegar in a seal-able Tupperware container, for a few hours or a day, then rewash them.

Now you can re-use the jars without fear that the odor from the previously stored food will seep into whatever you put into them.

Pin It Now!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...